July 19, 2009

...lie down in green pastures...

Rev. Scott-Wingo's Sunday sermon is reviewed by Joyce Ladd. Her notes are in green
Psalm 23 Page 612, BCP
Dominus regit me
1
The LORD is my shepherd; * I shall not be in want.
2
He makes me lie down in green pastures *and leads me beside still waters. Focus was placed on the Shepherd's staff which was used to lovingly lead and guide the sheep who unwittingly have such a tendency to wander into danger (we do so as we navigate our way through life).
3
He revives my soul *and guides me along right pathways for his Name's sake.
4
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, This Psalm as been used in many ways of comfort, especially to the dying as they put their trust in the Shepherd's love and care.I shall fear no evil; *for you are with me;your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5
You spread a table before me in the presence of those Here we get an image of the Shepherd towards the wandering stranger- the parched traveler who finds his way to the nomadic Shepherd who spreads a table for this stranger...
who trouble me; *you have anointed my head with oil,and my cup is running over.
6
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, * As sheep flock together for defense, we should be reminded that we are a people who should flock together as well. We were not created to be alone and cannot live fully unless we live together. We must love, forgive, serve and endure with God's Shepherding guidance. She ends by saying "and with that, I have no problem being compared to a dumb sheep...".and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

SCRIPTURES




Communion Anthem
Nikara Washington shared the gift of song during Communion with her rendition of Onward Christian Soldiers.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

+WELCOME BACK Rev. Sara Scott-Wingo. Hope your vacation was an exciting yet restful one.

+Vestry Meeting Sunday , July 26th after church.
+ A discussion on the results of the Annual Convention will be held at a pot luck supper after church within the next two weeks.
+ St. Mark's Garden- We are planting a garden on the church grounds. See Deacon Carolyn for details


+The National Alliance to End Homelessness has granted a consumer scholarship to Titus Battle. Titus will attend the 2009 National Conference on Ending Homelessness. The scholarship covers roundtrip transportation to Washington D.C. along with a stipend for conference related expenses. Hotel accommodations as well as conference registration are included in the scholarship. Titus will depart July 28, 2009 for this four day conference. As a long time advocate for the homeless and helpless Titus will have the opportunity to speak with government officials and their associates about the crisis of homelessness and how to combat it.




CANDID SHOT

Heager Hill and Rev. Rob Morpeth

JOKES YOU CAN TELL AT CHURCH

A little girl, dressed in her Sunday best, was running as fast as she could, trying not to be late for Bible class. As she ran she prayed, 'Dear Lord, please don't let me be late! Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!' While she was running and praying, she tripped on a curb and fell, getting her clothes dirty and tearing her dress. She got up, brushed herself off, and started running again! As she ran she once again began to pray, 'Dear Lord, please don't let me be late...But please don't shove me either!'

***

Three boys are in the school yard bragging about their fathers. The first boy says, 'My Dad scribbles a few words on a piece of paper, he calls it a poem, they give him $50.' The second boy says, 'That's nothing. My Dad scribbles a few words on piece of paper, he calls it a song, they give him $100.' The third boy says, 'I got you both beat. My Dad scribbles a few words on a piece of paper, he calls it a sermon, and it takes eight people to collect all the money!'

***


Attending a wedding for the first time, a little girl whispered to her mother, 'Why is the bride dressed in white?'' The mother replied, 'Because white is the color of happiness, and today is the happiest day of her life.'The child thought about this for a moment then said, 'So why is the groom wearing black?'


END***